Monday, May 20, 2013

Surgery


(Before Surgery)

Friday May 17th Kobe had his tonsils, adenoids removed and his uvula (hangy ball in the back of your throat) trimmed. We had to be there by 8:30am to get registered. It was an outpatient surgery. I was kinda hoping he would be admitted only because he woulda been under nurses care. I was scared and nervous. He was scared and Nervous. The surgery went smooth. The recovery time at the hospital was rough. He got sick and was dry heaving so the nurse gave him anti nausea meds which made him SO tired and groggy. He couldn't even open his eyes. He was a little comical though. When the blood pressure machine would beep he raised his hand. I'm not sure if he thought he was having his hearing tested like they do at school or what he was thinking lol. It was hard to get him to drink anything. He got a glass of apple juice and had to drink so much before he could leave. It took him awhile but finally he got most of it down and we were able to leave. He had no restrictions, was told to eat soft foods and drink LOTS of fluids to prevent dehydration... We finally get home about 4pm, Kobe wants to go outside and play?! I'm thinking *no you need to rest, you had surgery* he crys and crys so I text his surgical nurse, tell her he's wanting to go outside. She assures me its fine for him to go outside. So out he goes.. riding his bike, playing basketball, kicking the soccer ball.. I felt like I was doing something wrong.. Like he should be inside on the couch being baby-ed by his mommy.. Nope not this kid. Doesn't surprise me one bit though.
 
 
(Teddy got his surgery gear on)
(After surgery)
The first night(surgery night) Kobe fell asleep on the couch. I had decided I was going to sleep with him in his room so I could wake him up every 3-4 hours and give him his meds and drinks of water. I was getting things ready in his room when I heard him crying then it lead to screaming and him litterally running around the livingroom mumbling things I couldn't understand. I finally got him calmed down enough to take his pain meds and drink some water and got him in his bed. As soon as his head hit his pillow he was out. 3-4 hours later I had to wake him up for more meds and water.. he fought the meds alittle because he was half asleep and its such a nasty tasting medication, but it wasn't that bad and went back to sleep. At his 4:00am meds he was up and couldn't go back to sleep so he stayed up. Was fine the rest of the day. Played outside, rode his bike.. spent the night with Mamaw that 2nd night. He had another hysterical crying moment when he spent the night with my mom. But the other med times were good she said.
 
Sunday- Played outside.. acted fine all day. His throat was alittle more sore which was what we expected. They said days 3-7 were some of the worse. Last night (Sunday night) was horrible. I was just getting ready to get in bed and I hear Kobe screaming.. these chilling/bloody murder screams. It gave me chills. He was having a night terror. I get up to get to him as fast as I can and stumbling to turn lights on in the dark and find him standing by our piano in the pitch dark screaming "I'm going to die".. "help me".. "I'm panicking" He is asleep I can't talk to him because he can't hear that Im there. I try to grab his arm to walk him to his room and he takes off running.. saying "Don't touch me I can't breathe" By this time I'm hysterical.. because its so hard to watch your child have night terrors. He had them when he was younger. I finally got him back to his bed and as soon as his head hit his pillow he was out of it. After I sat up and bawled for over an hour at 1:20am I finally felt like I could sleep again.. I had just dozed off  and at 1:40 we had another episode.. same thing.. this time he wanted Jason... crying for Jason.. although it was because he couldn't find Jason in the dream he was having. I don't know if its because Jason wasn't there during the surgery or its because Jason's been working lots of hours? Idk. I finally got him to take Advil and drink some water and got him back to bed. I got in bed with him because I thought he may sleep better.. he kicked, cried out and mumbled all night..
 
Monday- This morning (7ish) I was in the shower.. I had just shut the water off and stepped out to dry off and I hear him crying.. not those horrifying cries but a good solid cry.. once again he's not awake.. its time for meds again and he is finally saying his throat hurts bad. I get him some ice water and more Advil I go to rinse out the medicine cup and turn around to talk to him and hes gone. I go look for him and he's back in bed sound asleep like he didn't even come in the other part of the house a few seconds ago. He was out cold too.. I even moved his bed with him on it too find his other flip flop. He didn't even move a muscle.  I finally get him awake and we head into town for the day..he ate some biscuit-less (lol) biscuits and gravy from Hardee's and part of a chocolate milk shake.. But now we have THIS going on with his tounge...
Dr. Moss's office called to check on him today and I told her about this. The nurse said his throat is supposed to look like that but not his tongue and that she would tell Dr. Moss and see what he says.. but  haven't heard anything back from him yet.. so we'll see.. it doesn't seem to bother in but it looks gross and he says it feels "soft" I thought it was thrush but idk.. He's acting fine and playing.. being the hard headed little Kobe that he is. He is complaining more of his throat hurting.. and moves his neck weird I'm guessing cause his throat hurts.. We shall see what today brings and the days to come...
(From Mommy and Daddy )

No comments:

Post a Comment